Sunday, April 9, 2017

Washington D.C. Temple Closure

Discourse given on March 12th at a Sacrament meeting of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

"Recently, in church, we discussed Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk The Challenge to Become in which he teaches that the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something not merely do something.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve caught myself innumerable times contemplating how I compare to my previous expectations, my previous desires and if I am truly becoming the person the Savior would have me become.

"When I received my patriarchal blessing the patriarch asked me to contact him in 5 years to give him a report of my status in life. 5 years have come; over 10 years have passed. To this day, I have not contact brother Mayo to give him a report of my activities in the years passed. Partially I am restrained wondering if he’ll remember me, partially afraid that I have not lived up to his expectations nor to my full potential. Oft, I wonder if I am living up to my potential or, as President Uchtdorf put it, my ‘privilege.’

"In his address to the priesthood brethren in April 2011 entitled Your Potential, Your Privilege, President Uchtdorf recounts a story of a cruise ship passenger who, after saving up for the voyage, packed and lived off of his own food unknowledgeable that the cruise was all inclusive. Only on the last day, the passenger became aware that his ticket - for the most part - included the entertainment, the food, and the activities. 'Too late the man realized that he had been living far beneath his privileges.' President Uchtdorf further asks, 'Are we as priesthood holders living below our privileges when it comes to the sacred power, gifts, and blessings that are our opportunity and right as bearers of God’s priesthood?'

"With the permission of the audience, I would like to extend this question adopted for this setting. ‘Are we, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ, living below our privileges when it comes to the sacred powers, gifts, and blessings the Lord has provided?’

"The Doctrine and Covenants, in section 43 verse 16, teaches us of one such gift and blessing in our lives. 'Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power.' In the house of the Lord, we are endowed with power.

"Elder David A. Bednar said 'the temple is a point of intersection between heaven and earth. In this sacred place, holy work will be performed through selfless service and love. The temple reminds me of all that is good and beautiful in the world.' Today, the members of the temple committee, myself included, will be sharing our thoughts and testimonies on the temple. We as a committee would like to use this quote, 'a point of intersection between heaven and earth,' as a symbol of our commitment to temple service this coming year.

"We invite you to personally ponder, not only the importance of the temple in your lives, but also this quote. What does 'a point of intersection between heaven and earth' mean to you individually? I believe that temple service will bring us closer to our eternal potential and our earthly privileges.
In speaking of living to our potential, Elder M. Russell Ballard said 'I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age [or in my case, even 10 years later] and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential.'

"Sister Dalton encouraged us to ‘never allow the goal of the temple to be out of our sight.’ 'Walk in His presence in purity and virtue, and receive His blessings—even all that he hath.'

"In the past few weeks it was announced that the Washington DC temple will be undergoing extensive renovations starting March of 2018. It will open with its rededicated in 2020. Before closing for two years, we as a temple committee have made the goal to go to the temple 12 times within the next 12 months. We extend this invitation to come to the temple to all (even those outside our ward). We encourage each of you to make the personal commitment to attend the temple 12 times in the next 12 months. Be it endowments, sealings, the baptistery, the visitor’s center, or the lawn outside, there is a place for you at the temple. A place here on earth where you can come nearer to heaven, reach your eternal potential, receive your privilege as a son or daughter of God.

"We discussed having a name for this challenge '12 for 12,' 'the temple 12,' 'the big 12' but ultimately, we want each of you to make your own commitment to attending the temple. To help you, we will be facilitating temple trips. The stake has a monthly opportunity to participate in endowments. The ward organizing monthly trips to participate in the different ordinances of the temple. This Saturday the 18th, we will be performing sealing and initiatories at 10am. We will be carpooling from here (chapel) at 9am.

"Richard G. Scott gave us a suggestion saying 'When a temple is conveniently nearby, small things may interrupt your plans to go to the temple. Set specific goals, considering you circumstances, of when you can and will participate in temple ordinances. Then do not allow anything to interfere with that plan.' Whether your goal is to attend the stake temple night, to go before work for the 6am session on Fridays, or to come for the ward trips, make a goal considering your circumstances and stick to it.

"Continuing his thoughts on goals, Elder Ballard promises, 'When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life.'

"It is my prayer that we can all reach our potential and receive our privilege is. That we may utilize the blessings and gifts of the temple to help us find that sweet intersection between heaven and earth. I bear my testimony of the importance of the temple, in it families are sealed for time and eternity. I love this promise and this gospel.

"I share this with you in the Lord’s name, Jesus Christ. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment